Question:
Is it ethical to bench pitchers in your fantasy baseball league just to win the WHIP or ERA categories?
tmc0037
2006-04-09 07:46:54 UTC
Is it ethical to bench pitchers in your fantasy baseball league just to win the WHIP or ERA categories?
Thirteen answers:
davidwilson06
2006-04-09 08:12:59 UTC
Yes. There is nothing wrong with that. However, odds are you will probably lose the Wins and Strikeouts categories as you need to accumulate more innings to be competitive. You are better off starting your pitchers trying to win as many statistics as possible.
kozel
2016-12-06 00:10:50 UTC
X) None. they are all significant. the in undemanding words ones that do not recommend something are W/L and Saves.. ok-Rod had sixty 2 saves yet replaced into some distance from the perfect closer. Marquis has 14 wins, yet he's in no way been the perfect pitcher. Clayton Kershaw has a 2.ninety 4 era yet in undemanding words 8 wins. So truly.. those that are significant are era, WHIP, BAA and ok/BB ratio. i will't p.c.. one because you've got a 2.00 WHIP and a nil.00 era or a three.00 WHIP and a .000 BAA.. the perfect pitchers have low era, WHIP, BAA and a extreme ok/BB, so how are you going to unmarried out one as being the biggest? BQ : Tim Lincecum. Wow... it really is all I even ought to assert about him.
bigdanabbott
2006-04-10 10:06:56 UTC
It is ethical of course. As a previous answer suggested not a good idea in a roto league, but not a bad one in H2H. To really work for you, you'd want a fairly large number of closers to try and win saves as well. Look for closers who tend to strike out a lot of batters per inning pitched and who have good era and whip. I normally wouldn't bench my SP for an entire week, but it is a VERY good idea last day or two of the week if you're ahead in era & whip and either way ahead or way behind in wins & ks.
▪Ψ~ RZ ~Ψ▪
2006-04-09 10:27:28 UTC
ahh very nice thought. I know in head to head leagues in yahoo you need a minimal of 7 inn. a week. But you'd be last in Wins Saves and K's. So you'd get 12 12 1 1 1 thats only 27 pts. Its kind of hard to win with that from your pitching staff. That leaves 5 categories for batting. Which is a possibility of 60 pts. So you'd have to be first in every category to get 87 pts. Which is pretty impossible. its all up to you. Pretty hard to win with 3 ones. If you are in the middle in all 5 categorys that equals out to 30 pts! So you can do it but I wouldn't after I thought about it.
dowboy98
2006-04-15 18:20:04 UTC
There are no ethics. If someone doesn't like it, that's just too bad. They can do the same.

I do it all the time in hockey (where it's much easier) but, if you have the minimum innings pitched, enough wins, and K's, and you're comfortable with that, plus your current ERA and WHIP, then go for it.

Otherwise, just chance it. Give it time and pitchers will break out and do well for ya.
naaiello
2006-04-15 23:49:53 UTC
Yeah its fine, I even carry a Middle Reliever like Scot Shields who plays every day as a setup man to lower ERA and WHIP not to mention he faned 98 last season and could get some saves if K-Rod goes down. Look maybe for that type of player and sit away.
Planet B
2006-04-10 20:29:27 UTC
If you're in a head-to-head league and it's late in the week and you already have a lead in Ws and Ks, then heck yes. Or just be very selective with who you start later in the week to keep the ERA and WHIP down. It's definitely a legitimate strategy, but one you have to be very judicious with.
?
2006-04-10 08:06:22 UTC
You may win those, but you'll never win the Wins, Saves, or Strike out categories. Not worth it to give up 3 categories to win 2.
C_Bar
2006-04-09 10:06:39 UTC
Absolutely. Depending on your league rules, there may be minimum innings requirements -- the point of which are to prevent extreme versions of such strategies. Many players attemt to draft only closers oand the best middle relievers in order to attempt this. My league instiuted rules to try to stop this, but if your league doesn't have them, go for it. (It is hard to win punting wins and Ks, though.)
claytonjohnwyatt
2006-04-09 12:28:52 UTC
Do you really believe that their are ethics in fantasy sports? You can do whatever you want with your roster.
bceagles16
2006-04-09 08:54:29 UTC
i wouldn't suggest it as it isn't one of the most important categories
koootch
2006-04-09 08:20:26 UTC
Yes! i just did that myself
Oliver_Sak